In 2005, the HLC adopted a new set of criteria for evaluation:
- Criterion One: Mission and Integrity
- Criterion Two: Preparing for the Future
- Criterion Three: Student Learning and Effective Teaching
- Criterion Four: Acquisition, Discovery and Application of Knowledge
- Criterion Five: Engagement and Service
HLC expects that ARCC has evaluated examples of evidence to support each criteria and its components. In addition, the Consultant-Evaluators also expect to see evidence that the organization is future-oriented, learning-focused, connected, and distinctive.